I like to call this a clothing collage or an accessory collage. To go a step further, I like to call this a vignette. My husband thinks I’m crazy to call it that, but hey, it’s fitting in my mind!
Firstly, let’s clarify. The word vignette associates with the following:
- a brief evocative description, account or episode
- a small ornamental design (or graphic) filling a space in a book or carving
- portray (someone)
- a short descriptive literary sketch
- a brief incident or scene
The way I think can be explained like this:
Throughout the years, I have focused my artistic efforts on collage techniques and incorporating these techniques into my pieces in numerous ways. With the vignette, I have the opportunity to combine my love of fashion with collage. In this instance, the ‘collage’ aspect is three dimensional. I’m not pasting and gluing pieces together. I am pairing different articles of clothing and accessories to a canvas. The end result becomes a collage of textures, color, patterns and form.
For this project, I’m using:
- a men’s collared button-down shirt
- a vintage neck tie
- a large, wooden embroidery hoop
The construction of this piece is going to take a little finesse. I’ll check back with you when I have it complete!